I’ve pretty much quit with the politics on facebook over the last six months to a year, which seems to be where most of my friends are also at. I’m gonna take a short break from this because I don’t want to look back at this time and think “damn I probably should have said something about immigration”.
We’ve grown so used to the hyperbole that the comparisons to pre-WW2 Germany feel utterly meaningless.
But today, right now, we are:
– rounding up people based on skin color, spoken language, and family associations
– stealing all of their belongings, confiscating their money, their property, their jobs
– literally snatching children from the arms of their mothers in broad daylight, in the streets; taking mothers and fathers away as their whole family watches, sobbing, powerless; permanently separating families, creating an entire generation of orphans
– dumping them in overcrowded camps with no legal recourse, no means of communication with the outside world, poor living conditions, and relentlessly inhumane treatment at every step in the process
– shipping them off to countries where they’ve never been, where they don’t speak the language or know the culture or have any foundations or relationships of any kind
– the camps are so overcrowded that they’re about to start building tent camps in the fucking desert in the middle of summer
America has a lot of sins, past and present. But right now, I believe this is at the top of the list. I don’t know what to do. We seem to be incapable of holding our government accountable for even the most blatant infractions.